Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pass First Set of Tests....Check‏

Sorry it has been a couple of weeks since my last email update, but life was going crazy for awhile. We just finished up our first round of tests and everything went really well. I passed everything and did pretty well. My lowest grade was in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) and I got an 83 on the written exam (I took the lab portion today and got only one thing wrong, so that is nice too because my overall grade should increase to close to 90). My other subjects was an 85 or better, which I am very thankful for. In each written section, I got about 10 points above the class average and I was about 15 points above average for the anatomy lab portion. Thankfully, I did well in everything and put myself in a really good starting position for school, and although we have not received any official yet (I will at the end of the semester I believe), I think I have put myself in the top 25% or so of the class. I really can't ask for more than that. But I have learned a good lesson though over the last few days though. You see, last weekend did not consist of any studying at all. Before you fall over in disbelief, every other student did the same thing, and the school encouraged it as well (I'll get to that in a minute). The week leading up to the exam was insane with the amount of studying that was being done. But after a test, the brain just needs a nice rest. I went golfing on Saturday in Kentucky (I shot an 83, with a few mulligans) and watched the race. Then came Sunday and a school-sponsored event......white water rafting. This was something school has been planning since interviews, so everyone was pretty excited. I was excited too, but also a little nervous because I swim about as good as.....a dog with vest full of rocks. It isn't pretty, but it works. But let me tell you, that is one of the most fun things I have ever done. My group had such a good time and I didn't get thrown out of the boat. Well, I would have had I not fallen into another guy a knocked him in. We went over a fall sideways and 3 of the 6 people in the boat fell out, but not me. I can't wait to do it again. But my lesson learned is this: Getting back into the routine of studying is really difficult after having a weekend off. I am grateful I realized this now rather than months from now, but thankfully I am not the only student who has experienced this phenomenon. Every student has been dragging this week, but we all know it can't last long either. I am super excited about this weekend though (what a transition from the last paragraph - oh well). I am going back to Chicago for the weekend. I can't wait to see everyone and experience traffic again. It is going to be so weird seeing a traffic light because I don't have a single one in my 30 mile drive to school. Anyway, I am SO excited to see Jennifer, my parents, Alec, Jen's parents and siblings, and the dogs (Ernie and Reese). It is hard to believe I've been in TN for 2 months now. I am golfing Saturday morning in Jen's dad's annual event, and will be going to Alec's football game in the afternoon. It is going to be an awesome weekend and I can't wait for it to be here. And yes, I will be doing some studying, mostly on the airplane, but at least it is something. I also will be practicing some OMM on whoever wants to volunteer to be my testing dummy. So if you want a nice back massage, relief from some chest congestion, or relief from a headache, I might be able to help you out. I need the practice, so the more the merrier - seriously. If you don't, or can't, hit me up this weekend, that is fine, but take advantage during Thanksgiving because I will know a lot more techniques. So please ask me, and if I can't help, I'll let you know. After receiving a treatment, then you will start understanding the difference between an MD and a DO. Yes, we do learn everything an MD does and we do prescribe medication, but we also learn these OMM techniques and they are pretty sweet. Another point of good news is that Jennifer is going to be able to work from home with the company she is working at now. This will make our lives so much easier and we are very grateful that she has been given this opportunity with her work. We will probably end up moving closer to school as well, so that is going to be real nice. Well, that is about all I have for you guys. I try not to make these too long, but it is really difficult. I think about all of you a lot and can't wait to see all of you soon. As for now, Go Cubbies and Go Bears!!!

No comments: